Re: Link grammars in Programming Language Development?

"cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:26:36 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Link grammars in Programming Language Development? bear@sonic.net (Ray) (2010-02-13)
Re: Link grammars in Programming Language Development? cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2010-03-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:26:36 -0700
Posted-Date: 05 Mar 2010 10:55:43 EST

"Ray" <bear@sonic.net> wrote in message news:10-02-060@comp.compilers...
> There has been a lot of research on Link grammars for natural language
> processing. They do pretty well, and link failures (grammar doesn't
> match input) seem well-correlated to very specific error conditions.
>
> So it occurred to me to wonder whether anyone's using them for
> programming language development? Or, specifically, whether there
> are any tools similar in spirit to Lex/Yacc/etc that use link
> grammars rather than production grammars?

I am not personally aware of any languages using them.

the issue WRT link grammars is that they would likely have a notable impact
on the language syntax, and so to use this sort of grammar in the design of
a programming language would, likely, involve having to re-imagine many of
the basic syntactic forms. this could also potentially impact the semantics
as well.

I have doubts it would be a good match for existing common programming
languages (such as the C-family, for example), but then again, not having
much experience with the grammars I could be wrong.

as for tools, one link that came up was this:
http://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/

although I have had no real personal experience with any of this.

as for myself, actually, I have not really seen or worked with these
grammars.

I had done some things related to parsing English, but this had approached
things from a different stance:
I had essentially tried to "mechanize" the English, mostly by limiting the
number of valid syntactic constructions, enforcing a "one word, one grammar
type" rule, and by attempting to use a recursive descent parser.

however, what became a problem here was that I couldn't come up with a good
semantic model, and didn't have a particular use-case, which sort of limited
the point of parsing it for my uses.

some of my other uses of natural language typically didn't require full
parsers.