Parallel compilers

Gabriele Farina <darkbard@gmail.com>
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 00:36:29 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parallel compilers darkbard@gmail.com (Gabriele Farina) (2009-09-04)
Was: Parallel compilers ... DMS and PARLANSE as parallel compiler idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2009-09-05)
Re: Parallel compilers mparks@oz.net (Michael Parkes) (1996-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gabriele Farina <darkbard@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 00:36:29 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 05 Sep 2009 00:05:43 EDT

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if someone has some information to give me about
implementing a compiler that's able to split the compilation process
in parallel steps, to fully take advantage or multicore/multiprocessor
machines.
I don't have any knownledge about that and I didn't find any
interesting lecture, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Gabriele
[I suppose some of the optimization analysis might be amenable to working in parallel,
but the front end lexer and parser are pretty serial. I think you'll find that the
way people use multi-processor systems is by using tools like gmake that can run the
compilation steps for several modules at the same time. -John]