Re: Generating optimal jump code for control flow instructions

SeeScreen <seescreen@gmail.com>
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generating optimal jump code for control flow instructions seescreen@gmail.com (SeeScreen) (2009-06-14)
Re: Generating optimal jump code for control flow instructions seescreen@gmail.com (SeeScreen) (2009-06-23)
Re: Generating optimal jump code for control flow instructions torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-06-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: SeeScreen <seescreen@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 23 Jun 2009 16:03:26 EDT

On Jun 14, 1:24 pm, SeeScreen <seescr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am estimating that generating an absolute minimal number of
> instructions, and short-circuiting the compound condtional at the
> earliest possible point in the execution trace has probably already
> been accomplished for many years.
>
> Is this old hat, or something new?

I have come up with a simple way to generate optimal jump code for all
basic control flow instructions:
  IF-THEN
  IF-THEN-ELSE
  WHILE-DO
  DO-WHILE

The generated code takes an absolute minimum memory space and absolute
minimum execution time within the precise semantic meaning of the
specified source code. Is this something new, or has it already been
done?
[Good question. I doubt that it's new, but it may be one of those bits
of folklore that's never been properly written up. -John]