Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code?

jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk
Sun, 07 Jun 2009 09:56:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to auto-parallelize a binary code? xueyunzhi@gmail.com (yunzhi) (2009-06-05)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? lkrupp_nospam@indra.com.invalid (Louis Krupp) (2009-06-06)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2009-06-07)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2009-06-08)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-06-08)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2009-06-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 09:56:33 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Jun 2009 04:56:53 EDT

xueyunzhi@gmail.com (yunzhi) wrote:

> I do know the single-thread performance will be improved. But how to
> auto-parallelize this binary code? Are there any tools or related
> research?

None that will do you any good with just a binary. Even with source, it's
often a lot harder than vendors of multi-core processors, and of
parallel programming tools, like to imply. You need source code, and for
this app, you're going to have to get that by writing it.

On the bright side, you will at least be familiar with the source code
when it comes to adding parallelism. Indeed, this is often most
effectively done by a re-write. You want to look hard at what the app
does and pick some parallelism techniques before you finish the
reconstruction of the source.

One exception to decompilers: they can do you some good with Java or
..NET code, but it doesn't sound as if that's what you have.

--
John Dallman, jgd@cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.