Re: Static Garbage Collection

"Armel" <armelasselin@hotmail.com>
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:57:17 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Re: Static Garbage Collection ott@mirix.org (Matthias-Christian Ott) (2009-05-26)
Re: Static Garbage Collection vincent@famillebelliard.fr (Vincent Belliard) (2009-05-26)
Re: Static Garbage Collection DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-05-29)
Re: Static Garbage Collection armelasselin@hotmail.com (Armel) (2009-05-29)
Re: Static Garbage Collection marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2009-05-30)
Re: Static Garbage Collection vincent@famillebelliard.fr (Vincent Belliard) (2009-05-31)
Re: Static Garbage Collection armelasselin@hotmail.com (Armel) (2009-06-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Armel" <armelasselin@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:57:17 +0200
Posted-Date: 02 Jun 2009 13:25:43 EDT

> The use of qualified references avoid a lot of job even if it cost a
> little bit more in data (because you must count references separately).
> When an object has at least one reference from a local or global
> variable, in no way it can be destroyed. In that case, when you release
> one reference on the object you don't have extra job to do.

I personnally use the user/maintainance (==qualified) reference
counting principle in all my projects: this is indeed a really
efficient way to handle objects life cycle when the relation between
objects can be foreseen. the thesis referred "Concurrent Cycle
Collection in Reference Counted Systems", June 2001, from David
F. Bacon and V.T. Rajan is simply "another way": sometime you cannot
predict how users will build graphs of those smart pointers, and
having this strategy in those cases can be interesting (in addition to
the faster/more efficient "qualified" references).

Regards
Armel