Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able to compile itself?

Jeremy Wright <jeremy.wright@microfocus.com>
Wed, 20 May 2009 15:48:09 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able kenney@cix.compulink.co.uk (2009-05-19)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (Pertti Kellomaki) (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able armencho@gmail.com (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able marcov@snail.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2009-05-20)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able blog@rivadpm.com (alextangent) (2009-05-21)
Re: Newbie question: What is the importance for a compiler to be able barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2009-05-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeremy Wright <jeremy.wright@microfocus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:48:09 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 21 May 2009 19:41:57 EDT

>> You can turn this around, and make it an argument against
>> self-residency in the compiler. There is a danger that you come to
>> rely on non-standard extensions to the language, and worse : implicit
>> non-standard extensions to the semantic definition of the language.
>>
> And why wouldn't you get reliant on similar feature with an arbitrary
> different compiler used? (like gccisms) Only actively compiling with
> multiple compilers avoids that situation, so self-residency or not is
> irrelevant in this case.

You quoted me selectively. I actually said these problems are avoided if
one regularly uses different compilers. Self-residency is highly relevant
in this case, because you only ever use one compiler.

> And then it is of course a different question all together if this is
> that bad at all. Do you really want your compiler and runtime (which
> is a bigger problem than the compiler, since you are more likely to
> use extensions there) to be written and limited by the lowest common
> denomitor?
>
> No language extensions, no platform extensions, no ability to use
> inline assembler features etc.

I prefer to think of it as sticking to the lanaguage standard. And
whilst I have had need to code routines in assembler, I have never had
need to inline assembler in a high level language. If you work on
multiple Unix platforms this is not viable anyway.