Re: additional regular expression operators

"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:41:35 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Re: additional regular expression operators rpboland@gmail.com (Ralph Boland) (2009-03-31)
Re: additional regular expression operators torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-04-14)
Re: additional regular expression operators zayenz@gmail.com (MZL) (2009-04-15)
Re: additional regular expression operators anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-04-16)
Re: additional regular expression operators gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2009-04-16)
Re: additional regular expression operators torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-04-17)
Re: additional regular expression operators mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2009-04-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:41:35 +0200
Posted-Date: 19 Apr 2009 04:47:00 EDT

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:49:30 -0700 (PDT), Ralph Boland wrote:

> Before I decide I would like to hear opinions on the matter.
>
> Suggestions as to further operators to support welcome. Suggestions
> as to what are the best symbols to use for the new operators welcome.

You might wish to take a look at other pattern languages, like SNOBOL. One,
derived from SNOBOL example is here:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/match/match.htm

It has various unary (all prefix) and infix operations. As someone already
mentioned there are different strategies for the repetition operation, like
eager and lazy matching to get the shortest or the longest match (in some
sense). Then of course you might add certain patterns from handling
multi-line sources. Then there can be labels for building recursive
patterns, for example to match balanced brackets etc.

Note that some of the extensions will widen the language class. So it will
not be "regular" anymore.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov