Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form

Pertti Kellomaki <pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi>
Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:17:24 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form comp.lang.misc@inglorion.net (Robbert Haarman) (2009-03-06)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form tony@my.net (Tony) (2009-03-06)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2009-03-07)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form tony@my.net (Tony) (2009-03-06)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2009-03-07)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (Pertti Kellomaki) (2009-03-09)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2009-03-10)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form bartc@freeuk.com (Bartc) (2009-03-11)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form tony@my.net (Tony) (2009-03-10)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (Pertti Kellomaki) (2009-03-12)
Re: What's lacking: a good intermediate form tony@my.net (Tony) (2009-03-14)

From: Pertti Kellomaki <pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:17:24 +0200
Posted-Date: 10 Mar 2009 15:29:06 EDT

Bartc wrote:
> The Getting Started documention makes it clear this project is
> intended for Linux, judging from the two-dozen linux-specific utilties
> it expects to be available (I haven't mentioned what I had to go
> through to deal with tar, gz and bz2 files, especially tar with it's
> useless help info). I happen to use Windows.

You are correct that the system is mostly being developed on
unix-like systems (Linux, OSX, etc.). However, you can use it
on Windows by installing Cygwin, which gives you the utilities
LLVM expects to be there, like tar (which by the way is not
Linux specific but dates back to the 1970's).

> I'm not really being critical, just showing why perhaps some people
> prefer to do their own thing. (There's nothing really wrong with
> reinventing the wheel, when you're going to end up with a 6" wheel
> which is perfect for you, instead of struggling to adapt a 100'
> diameter 'standard' one)

Fair enough, but I would also point out that the effort required
to get something like LLVM up and running is really negligible
compared to writing your own from scratch. Even if you decide to
go your own way at the end, playing around with an existing system
and learning what the issues are will be time well spent.
--
Pertti