Question on %nonassoc-directive in LALR(1) parser generators

mailings@jmksf.com
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:10:23 +0200 (CEST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question on %nonassoc-directive in LALR(1) parser generators mailings@jmksf.com (2008-09-26)
Re: Question on %nonassoc-directive in LALR(1) parser generators mailings@jmksf.com (mailings@jmksf.com) (2008-09-27)
Re: Question on %nonassoc-directive in LALR(1) parser generators cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-09-27)
Re: Question on %nonassoc-directive in LALR(1) parser generators chris.dollin@hp.com (Chris Dollin) (2008-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mailings@jmksf.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:10:23 +0200 (CEST)
Posted-Date: 26 Sep 2008 07:53:47 EDT

Hello,

I have a question about the %nonassoc-directive in LALR(1) parser
generators like yacc, to influence the associativity and precedence of
terminals. Yacc defines terminals attributed with %nonassoc as
not-associative, so a grammar like:

%nonassoc '=';

test: expr 'n'

;

expr: expr '=' expr
| 'x'
;

results in a parser that correctly accepts "x=x" but not
"x=x=x". Running yacc (bison) in verbose mode also gives me the
message that the state

expr -> expr .'=' expr
expr -> expr '=' expr .

runs into an error because '=' is not associative.

Now, if I refer to the book [Holub] "Compiler Design in C", Holub
shows a table on how shift-reduce conflicts are handled when the
precedence of the production to be reduced and the symbol to be
shifted are equal (which is the case in above yacc grammar). This
table is

Associativity of conflict symbol | Perform
---------------------------------|--------
Left-associative | reduce
Right-associative | shift
Non-associative | reduce

Even his own parser generator occs (implemented in this book) and the
parser generator Anagram (http://www.parsifalsoft.com/) use this
(faulty?) approach: They always accept inputs like "x=x=x" when '=' is
declared non-associative, and I'm not sure now if this is a mistake in
Holubs book or a misunderstanding by me. The way yacc implements this
table is, in my opinion

Associativity of conflict symbol | Perform
Left-associative | reduce
Right-associative | shift
Non-associative | [remove shift from action table]

Am I right now or who made the mistake here?

Thank you & Best regards

Jan
[Holub's book had a stupendous number of mistakes. Have you looked at
the 50 page errata sheet? Google for "holub compiler design", click the
documentation link for a PDF that is mostly errata. -John]