Re: Debug optimized code

RR <rajaram.officemails@gmail.com>
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:24:33 +0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debug optimized code linuxkaffee_@_gmx.net (Stephan Ceram) (2008-09-16)
Re: Debug optimized code rajaram.officemails@gmail.com (RR) (2008-09-17)
Re: Debug optimized code cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2008-09-17)
Re: Debug optimized code walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2008-09-17)
Re: Debug optimized code rcmetzger@grandecom.net (rcmetzger) (2008-09-17)
Re: Debug optimized code sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2008-09-18)
Re: Debug optimized code barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2008-09-19)
Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-20)

From: RR <rajaram.officemails@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:24:33 +0800
Posted-Date: 17 Sep 2008 07:52:57 EDT

Hi

You can have a look at

http://www.acmet.com/whitepapers/Debugger-for-optimizing-compiler.pdf

"This white paper provides an outline on the concept of debugging
optimized code. This paper discusses the way compiler transformations
affect debugging, the practical problems in debugging optimizing code
and techniques that can be used to overcome the problems in debugging
optimized code.

There is a lot of activity currently on this subject. But after all
this, no usable product has evolved till date to debug optimized code.
This is due to the practical problems involved in debugging optimized
code. This white paper analyzes the practical problems in debugging
optimized code and presents a clear interface between a compiler and
debugger in achieving debugging of optimized code."

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Stephan Ceram <linuxkaffee_@_gmx.net> wrote:

        I've a question about compilers' symbolic debugging information (like
        DWARF2) and compiler optimizations. Should the code be always compiled
        without any optimizations, i.e. -O0, to get accurate debug information
        where all source code line number are correct or would I also get accurate
        results for higher optimization levels? Usually, at least -O1 does
        not modify the code too much, so I would assume that this optimization
        level could be applied for a successful debugging afterwards.
        What are you experiences?