Re: TXL ANTLR

Jatin Bhateja <Jatin_Bhateja@mentor.com>
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:25:43 +0530

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
TXL ANTLR anders43@gmail.com (Anders Karlsson) (2008-08-28)
Re: TXL ANTLR Jatin_Bhateja@mentor.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2008-08-29)
Re: TXL ANTLR jaluber@gmail.com (Johannes) (2008-08-30)
Re: TXL ANTLR parrt@cs.usfca.edu (Terence Parr) (2008-08-30)
Re: TXL ANTLR anders43@gmail.com (ajk) (2008-09-01)
Re: TXL ANTLR idbaxter@semdesigns.com (2008-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jatin Bhateja <Jatin_Bhateja@mentor.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:25:43 +0530
Posted-Date: 29 Aug 2008 12:33:48 EDT

  >I was wondering what the difference is between TXL and ANTLR, are
  >these similar tools. What other tools are there than can be used for
  >help in building compilers besides these and of course LEX/YACC?

  >I am not interested in starting a flame war, just want to know what
  >you people use and which you can recommend.

  >I have looked a bit on ANTLR and it seems quite nice, but was juse
  >wondering if there are other alternatives.

TXL and ANTLR both have following common features

        * Both are LL(k) parser generators.
        * Both are mainly used for making language translation. Can
            generates parse tree and a tree walker.

ANTLR is a popular tool and the code generated is very clean, easy to
understand and edited also.

The fundamental difference b/w ANTLR/TXL and Yacc is the underlined
parsing algorithm. Yacc is an LALR parser
generator.

Hope this gives you some idea.

--
Thanks and Regards