C compiler front end wanted

David Given <dg@cowlark.com>
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:18:59 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C compiler front end wanted dg@cowlark.com (David Given) (2008-06-15)
Re: C compiler front end wanted rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2008-06-15)
Re: C compiler front end wanted dg@cowlark.com (David Given) (2008-06-15)
Re: C compiler front end wanted sammyderoy@sympatico.ca (Sammy) (2008-06-15)
Re: C compiler front end wanted torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2008-06-16)
Re: C compiler front end wanted DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-06-15)
Re: C compiler front end wanted monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2008-06-17)

From: David Given <dg@cowlark.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:18:59 +0100
Posted-Date: 15 Jun 2008 15:13:28 EDT

I'm working on a C based tool that needs to operate of a full C AST ---
basically, it can be thought of as a code generator for a really twisted
CPU architecture.

Does anyone know if there are any clean, standalone libraries for
parsing, verifying and then generating full ASTs, from C source code?

So far, my research has shown up a few tools like ctool, which
generates annotated parse trees but don't do full type analysis and
program verification; things like elsa, which is really designed for
C++ and as such is grotesquely overcomplicated for what I want (and
also, I can't make it build); and compiler frontends that are actually
attached to compilers, such as pcc, sdcc, ack, gcc etc, which are
unfortunately so tightly integrated to the compiler backend that
ripping out the existing
  backend and replacing it with mine is a huge amount of work.

I'm sure there *must* be something like this out there, somewhere. Can
anyone suggest anything I should have a look at?

(Open source, please!)

[Don't hold your breath waiting for free tools here. Sometimes you only
get what you pay for. -John]