Re: Compiler creation toolkit

kamal <kamalpr@hp.com>
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:19:00 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler creation toolkit scholz.lothar@gmail.com (2008-06-09)
Re: Compiler creation toolkit kamalpr@hp.com (kamal) (2008-06-10)
Re: Compiler creation toolkit scholz.lothar@gmail.com (2008-06-11)
Re: Compiler creation toolkit ang.usenet@gmail.com (Aaron Gray) (2008-06-11)
Re: Compiler creation toolkit anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-06-11)
Re: Compiler creation toolkit rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2008-06-14)
Re: Compiler creation toolkit scholz.lothar@gmail.com (2008-06-17)

From: kamal <kamalpr@hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 14 Jun 2008 08:50:12 EDT

On Jun 9, 7:29 pm, scholz.lot...@gmail.com wrote:
> My project is to create an eiffel like compiler.
> For the final optimized results i will generate c code, but i would
> like to use something else for faster updates in the edit-compile-run
> cycle. Is there any framework other then GNU lightning (which seems

how about smarteiffel? I spose you want to translate Eiffel text to C
using your tool, for compilation by a native C compiler.

> unmaintained - last release is 4 years old) or llvm (which does looks
> just like a tradional compiler backend).

LLVM is not any way related to eiffel. [I have never used LLVM and am
not a contributor to it either]. It is a framework wherein
optimization techniques can be applied at user-defined stages instead
of the compiler-writer plugging in/hard-coding optimization techniques
at particular points. So, you could move an optimization technique
that is applied to source code, to IR or final code for better
results. It is something that you would use for a language like C coz
it has pointers, which prevent effective static analysis.

regards
-kamal