Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use

Jeff Kenton <jeffrey.kenton@comcast.net>
Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:18:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2008-03-23)
Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com (kphillips) (2008-03-23)
Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2008-03-23)
Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-03-23)
Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use kevin.phillips83@yahoo.com (kphillips) (2008-03-27)
Re: register allocation: basic blocks, liveness and next use jeffrey.kenton@comcast.net (Jeff Kenton) (2008-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeff Kenton <jeffrey.kenton@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:18:55 -0400
Posted-Date: 03 Apr 2008 23:21:18 EDT

Indeed, Bob Morgan's book says he treats procedure calls similarly to
expression handling because they don't change the flow of control.
Similarly, Steve Muchnick prefers to do likewise because it results in
longer blocks, but makes exceptions for Fortran routines with multiple
returns and for setjmp()/longjmp(). Bill Wolf's book doesn't appear
to mention the issue at all.

[ Aside: lots of folks mention Wulf's book. To me it seems more like
nostalgia than relevance these days. Bliss on the PDP-11 doesn't do
much for me. But everyone has an old favorite like that. Mine is B.
Randell and L.J. Russell, ALGOL 60 Implementation -- it impressed me
when I first read it, but I'd probably be disappointed in it now. ]

jeff

= Jeff Kenton http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey.kenton =