Re: Info on Lex/yacc Objective-c grammar

Timothy Knox <tdk@thelbane.com>
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:41:11 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Info on Lex/yacc Objective-c grammar magicalex@inwind.it (Alessandro Perrone) (2008-03-24)
Re: Info on Lex/yacc Objective-c grammar tdk@thelbane.com (Timothy Knox) (2008-03-28)
Re: Info on Lex/yacc Objective-c grammar magicalex@inwind.it (2008-04-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Timothy Knox <tdk@thelbane.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:41:11 -0800
Posted-Date: 29 Mar 2008 13:45:46 EDT

  Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 04:51:56PM +0100, Alessandro Perrone wrote:
> I am thinking, as a way to learn the use of lex/yacc, to write a simple
> profiler for objective-c programs, and I need the lex/yacc grammar for
> objective-c language. I searched with googgle, but I found only the
> grammar for old objective-C for Mac.
> Has anyone the grammar for "standard" objective-c language, where
> standard means "all platforms"?
> Surely the fsf used it to build the objc part of gcc.
> Regards.

GIYF!* I did a search for Objective-C grammar, and the top several hits all
looked quite promising.

Besides, I think you are labouring under a misapprehension about the
history of Objective-C. If I recall correctly, Objective-C was
originally popularised by NextSTEP (though they did *not* originate
it), and NeXT/Apple have been the driving forces in the evolution (or
even the continued existence) of Objective-C. There isn't a "standard"
Objective-C, as such. In fact, since Objective-C 2.0 is driven by
Apple, I would say that their grammar is as definitive as anyone's.

What do you mean by "all platforms"? The language itself is portable
to "all platforms". I have an Objective-C compiler on my FreeBSD
boxes, my Linux boxes, and (back when I had one) my Solaris boxes. The
libraries Apple ships are for Mac OS X, but the compiler is still the
same FSF GCC based compiler.

*Google Is Your Friend!

--
Timothy Knox <mailto:tdk@thelbane.com>