Static branch prediction

Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de>
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:37:54 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Static branch prediction plfriko@yahoo.de (Tim Frink) (2008-03-03)
Re: Static branch prediction armbru@pond.sub.org (Markus Armbruster) (2008-03-04)
Re: Static branch prediction andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-03-05)
Re: Static branch prediction anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-03-05)
Re: Static Branch Prediction arcfide@sacrideo.us (Aaron W. Hsu) (2012-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:37:54 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 03 Mar 2008 13:58:10 EST

Hi,

Some processors use a static branch prediction. The predicted outcome
of a jump depends on the instruction, i.e. a 16-bit conditional jump
instruction is predicted as taken while a 32-bit instruction with a
forward displacement is predicted as not taken.

If the outcome of a jump would be known in advance, one could use the
appropriate jump instructions to avoid misprediction, thus
accelerating the program execution. I assume that profiling data could
be used for that to figure out the more probable jump behavior.

This idea is probably not new, so I wonder if you know any
compilers/optimizers that apply this technique? Do you have own
experiences or know any papers/reports where any results are
presented?

Regards,
Tim