Re: basic question on register allocation

johnhull2008@gmail.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:50:42 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
basic question on register allocation johnhull2008@gmail.com (2008-02-20)
Re: basic question on register allocation max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2008-02-24)
Re: basic question on register allocation torbenm@app-5.diku.dk (2008-02-25)
Re: basic question on register allocation johnhull2008@gmail.com (2008-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: johnhull2008@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:50:42 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 29 Feb 2008 01:23:09 EST

Thanks both for your input.

My misunderstanding was that I was thinking once it is determined that
a variable is spilled, all the interferences go away. I re-read my
compiler book (Muchnick's book) and indeed there is a loop that
repeats when allocation fails after spiling.

I've read Hack's work recently that is based on the fact that
interference graphs in SSA form are chordal and the chromatic number
of them can be determined in polynomial time. It is very interesting
to see there are still ways to improve on existing solutions to an old
problem like register allocation.