Re: (E)BNF Grammar to XML for LALR(1) parse table?

Eric <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:17:37 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
(E)BNF Grammar to XML for LALR(1) parse table? Cox.Jason@gmail.com (2008-01-14)
Re: (E)BNF Grammar to XML for LALR(1) parse table? Cox.Jason@gmail.com (2008-01-15)
Re: (E)BNF Grammar to XML for LALR(1) parse table? englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2008-01-15)
Re: (E)BNF Grammar to XML for LALR(1) parse table? paul@paulbmann.com (Paul B Mann) (2008-02-15)
Re: (E)BNF Grammar to XML for LALR(1) parse table? scooter.phd@gmail.com (scooter.phd@gmail.com) (2008-02-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eric <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:17:37 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 15 Jan 2008 21:56:06 EST

On Jan 14, 5:28 pm, Cox.Ja...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have created a grammar for a little calculator language my company
> created (literally takes constants, variables, parenthesis, and basic
> arithmetic). We work exclusively in C# and I am having a difficult
> time finding tools to generate a business-class, maintainable lexer
> and parser.

There's also ANTLR, of course. And COCO/R, which has a well written
book that describes how to use it with C# and Java, authored by Pat
Terry. I had to order the book from Amazon UK because Amazon in the US
didn't carry it: "Compiling with C# and Java".

I like Pat's explation of attributed grammars using C# specific code.

There's also a good book on ANTLR but I haven't had the time to read
it. My quick glances showed that it seems to be better than it has any
right to be, which is quite good. The book focuses on Domain Specific
Languages, which is what I understand yours to be.

These are both recursive decent tools: LL(k) and LL(1), instead of
LALR.

There's also the Gardens Point Parser Generator (GPPG). I've looked at
their Pascal compiler, and I simply can't say enough good things about
it. Those folks are simply brilliant.

Eric