Transition diagram as a plan for recursive-descent parsers

Srinu <sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com>
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:04:47 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Transition diagram as a plan for recursive-descent parsers sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com (Srinu) (2007-12-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Srinu <sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 11 Dec 2007 11:17:25 EST

Hi All,

While going through the book, "Principles of compiler Design", I found
the following information in the article discussing about "Transition
diagram as a plan for recursive-descent parsers".

There we said that, If we get a non deterministic transition diagram
from the grammar, it is not possible to construct the deterministic
equivalent of it. The reason is, we can't just follow the subset-
construction method that is applied to make an NFA to DFA, because it
can't remember how many recursive calls are made.

I couldn't understand this fully. Do we need to remember anything such
while we go for subset-construction method ? Please help me
understanding this.

Srinu