Functional Symbol Tables

bison <sgillespie@bisonofborg.com>
Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:17:57 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Functional Symbol Tables sgillespie@bisonofborg.com (bison) (2007-07-09)
Re: Functional Symbol Tables torbenm@app-4.diku.dk (2007-07-13)
Re: Functional Symbol Tables a.t.hofkamp@tue.nl (A.T.Hofkamp) (2007-07-13)
Re: Functional Symbol Tables kennheinrich@sympatico.ca (2007-07-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bison <sgillespie@bisonofborg.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:17:57 -0700
Posted-Date: 12 Jul 2007 22:04:49 EDT

I'm trying to figure out a way to implement symbol tables in a
functional style, but I can't figure out a way to do that. The only
way I can think to do it is to keep track of names during parsing for
each scope and upon entering a scope add these bindings to the
existing table.

I read somewhere that you can pass around your ST through arguments.
My thought about that is that if you are using recursion, you will
lose all of your mappings once that call is returns. Does anyone have
any thoughts on this?