Re: bison and/or antlr ?

"Ron AF Greve" <ron@news1.news.xs4all.nl>
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:04:56 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
bison and/or antlr ? somedeveloper@gmail.com (SomeDeveloper) (2007-06-30)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-06-30)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? ron@news1.news.xs4all.nl (Ron AF Greve) (2007-07-01)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-02)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? tom@infoether.com (Tom Copeland) (2007-07-03)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-07-04)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-07)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-07-09)
Re: bison and/or antlr ? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-07-13)

From: "Ron AF Greve" <ron@news1.news.xs4all.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:04:56 +0200
Posted-Date: 01 Jul 2007 21:53:19 EDT

Hi

1. I learned bison then antlr. I would stick with antlr. I find the
latter more easy to debug and the 2.7 version can generate C++
(amongst other languages) while the regular bison only creates C. Plus
antlr now has a very useful tool antlrworks. Was yesterday writing a
kind of csound like program and developing a language for
it. Antlrworks made it extremely fast to get the ambiquities out
(that's what usually takes most time of my compiler/interpreter
development).

2. I don't think it really matters if you have learned one it is easy to
learn the other (at least it was for me).

3. Don't know never used a book myself just learned it from the
documentation of bison (which is an excellent book in itself) then for antlr
I just read the docs.

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://www.InformationSuperHighway.eu