Re: Syntax directed compilation

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Tue, 29 May 2007 08:43:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Syntax directed compilation barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2007-05-26)
Re: Syntax directed compilation ang.usenet@gmail.com (Aaron Gray) (2007-05-28)
Re: Syntax directed compilation sdn@svpal.org (Steven Nichols) (2007-05-28)
Re: Syntax directed compilation thomas.mertes@gmx.at (2007-05-29)
Re: Syntax directed compilation cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2007-05-29)
Re: Syntax directed compilation xenophon+usenet@irtnog.org (Matthew X. Economou) (2007-05-31)
Re: Syntax directed compilation barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2007-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 08:43:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 May 2007 00:23:04 EDT

"Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> writes:

> "Barry Kelly" <barry.j.kelly@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I recall, a long time back on this group, people pointing out that
>> languages supporting redefinable or user extensible grammars have
>> never taken off, and that like heavy armour on insects, it's a feature
>> more notable of the extinct than the extant.

> Dylan is worth looking at it has a macro system that gives a frontended
> approach.
>
> http://www.opendylan.org/books/drm/
> No, it just a very difficult thing to do and get right in a language. It
> really needs a proper archetecture and/or an "open compiler", to coin a
> term.

Actually, the term open compiler has an established meaning which may
or may not suit the original posters needs, but I suspect OpenDylan is
following this concept, which comes out of the lisp community and the
Meta-Object Protocol and evolved into aspect oriented
programming--that is if I have my terms right. There was even an
OpenC++ implementation if I recall correctly. The name this is
associated with in my mind is Gregory Kikzales. I believe some of
this work became mainstream as "reflection".

This is not my area (although I really like what I've read about
AspectJ, and hope to someday incorporate aspect oriented ideas into
Yacc++), so I may have muddled three or more unrelated things
together.

Hope this helps,
-Chris

23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)