Re: any experience with PLY?

Jason <joevans@gmail.com>
14 May 2007 12:36:50 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
any experience with PLY? marktxx@yahoo.com (Mark T) (2007-05-13)
Re: any experience with PLY? nicola.musatti@gmail.com (Nicola Musatti) (2007-05-14)
Re: any experience with PLY? joevans@gmail.com (Jason) (2007-05-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jason <joevans@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 May 2007 12:36:50 -0700
Posted-Date: 16 May 2007 03:01:34 EDT

On May 13, 12:08 pm, Mark T <mark...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm contemplating using PLY to create a source to source translator -
> one assembler language (custom CPU) to another assembler language
> (standard CPU). I have some limited lex/yacc experience.
>
> Are there any other parser-generator tools I should consider? or
> should I just hand code everything?

I am certainly biased, but I think that Parsing is the greatest thing
since sliced bread, at least as far as Python-based parser generators
go. Parsing is an LR(1) parser generator, and it includes both CFSM
("LR") and GLR parser drivers.

Parsing: http://www.canonware.com/download/Parsing/Parsing.py
Example: http://www.canonware.com/download/Parsing/examples/example1.py

Don't let the simplicity of the example fool you into thinking that
Parsing is a toy -- I have used it for some very large grammars, with
great success.

Jason