Basic parser grammar question

O JuciE <jucie@ig.com.br>
26 Apr 2007 09:34:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Basic parser grammar question dwashington@gmx.net (Denis Washington) (2007-04-20)
Basic parser grammar question jucie@ig.com.br (O JuciE) (2007-04-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: O JuciE <jucie@ig.com.br>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Apr 2007 09:34:45 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Apr 2007 09:34:45 EDT

Denis Washington <dwashington@gmx.net> wrote:
  > This piece of grammar works fine if I have simple additive expressions
  > like "a + b", but fails to function if having longer arrays of additive
  > expressions, e.g. "a + b + c". Why is that? Have I missed something? I
  > hope you can help me.

I think your problem is that your productions aren't recursive. Let's
look at the following example, extracted from
http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/example.html :

expression
  : expression PLUS expression
  | expression MINUS expression
  | expression TIMES expression
  | expression DIVIDE expression

Note the 'expression' production is recursive. That's why this grammar
can handle repetitions, like the ones you want your parser to grasp: a +
b + c is actually (a + b) + c.

I hope it helps, I am not a user of PLY myself, not even a regular
Python user.

[]s

O JuciĘ