Re: PL/MIX

Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu>
11 Feb 2007 16:24:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: PL/MIX usenet@rwaltman.net (Roberto Waltman) (2007-02-07)
Re: PL/MIX max@gustavus.edu (Max Hailperin) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX usenet@rwaltman.net (Roberto Waltman) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2007-02-08)
Re: PL/MIX sdn@svpal.org (Steven Nichols) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-09)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-11)
Re: PL/MIX ArarghMail702@Arargh.com (2007-02-12)
Re: PL/MIX Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2007-02-12)
Re: PL/MIX ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu (Allan Adler) (2007-02-16)
Re: PL/MIX martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2007-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.compilers
Date: 11 Feb 2007 16:24:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Feb 2007 16:24:42 EST

Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu> writes:

>Anyway, this provides me with more motivation for reading the PL/360 manual at
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/explain/manuals/PL360TXT.HTML

Since posting this, I found a pdf version of the manual. Also, I found
a commercial program, selling for about $50+S&H that is advertised as
an algebraic assembly language program for x86. Right now, I'm
downloading a free package called HLA (High Level Assembler) that runs
under both Windows and Linux. It is compiled but the distributors
claim that doesn't mean it isn't really still a high level assembly
language. They further claim that the use of macros in assembly
languages such as MASM blurs the distinction between assembly language
and higher level language. There's also a book.

I don't know if it is what I want (i.e. an analogue for x86 of PL360
or the nonexistent PL/MIX) but it does seem to offer a lot of
desirable features, not the least of which is that I can study it on
my own machine instead of on machines that I don't know anything about
and don't have access to. The two obvious exercises from my point of
view are to try to imitate HLA for MIX and to modify HLA (on x86 or on
MIX) to be handled just using lexical scanning (if that is
possible). It's easy to imagine, before doing any actual work, what
might be possible. I'm pretty inexperienced so what is possible for me
has to be at a fairly low level. As a side effect of learning to use
HLA, I might actually learn something about x86 machine language,
which I've wanted for some time to learn but have always found too
painful to spend much time on.

More if I ever know more....
--
Ignorantly,