Re: finding all dominator trees

"Amir Michail" <amichail@gmail.com>
29 Nov 2006 00:51:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
finding all dominator trees amichail@gmail.com (Amir Michail) (2006-11-22)
Re: finding all dominator trees diablovision@yahoo.com (2006-11-26)
Re: finding all dominator trees martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2006-11-27)
Re: finding all dominator trees amichail@gmail.com (Amir Michail) (2006-11-27)
Re: finding all dominator trees s1l3ntR3p@gmail.com (s1l3ntr3p) (2006-11-28)
Re: finding all dominator trees amichail@gmail.com (Amir Michail) (2006-11-29)
Re: finding all dominator trees bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu (Brooks Moses) (2006-11-29)
Re: finding all dominator trees s1l3ntR3p@gmail.com (s1l3ntr3p) (2006-11-29)
Re: finding all dominator trees DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-11-29)
Re: finding all dominator trees cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-11-30)
Re: finding all dominator trees amichail@gmail.com (Amir Michail) (2006-12-03)
Re: finding all dominator trees diablovision@yahoo.com (2006-12-04)

From: "Amir Michail" <amichail@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Nov 2006 00:51:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Nov 2006 00:51:06 EST

s1l3ntr3p wrote:

> > > Unless I am missing some subtlety of your situation, you should just be
> > > able to run the dominator tree algorithm for the root node of the
> > > graph. Dominator trees have the property that each subtree for a node
> > > corresponds to the dominator tree for that node.
> > >

> > There is no root. This is an arbitrary graph.
> >
> > Amir
> >
> > > See "Efficiently Computing Static Single Assignment Form and the
> > > Control Dependence Graph" by Cytron et al.
>

> This is from Torczon's book: "In a CFG, node i <dominates> node j if
> every path from the entry node to j passes through i". What this tells
> us is that we need a root (entry) node.

The idea is to consider each node in turn as a root and build a
dominator tree with respect to that root. A naive way to do this is to
run a dominator tree algorithm for each such root separately.

But maybe there's a more efficient way (even though the relationship
between these dominator trees may not be obvious in general).

The application here has nothing to do with compilers: I would like to
compute a dominator tree for each person in a social network to build
a better social news service:

http://targetyournews.com/ajax/TargetYourNews.html>md%3DMore%26link_id%3D656584

Amir