Local optimization?

divilment@gmail.com
10 Nov 2006 00:14:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Local optimization? divilment@gmail.com (2006-11-10)
Re: Local optimization? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-11-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: divilment@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Nov 2006 00:14:30 -0500
Posted-Date: 10 Nov 2006 00:14:30 EST

Hi Folks,

It seems local optimization techniques are discussed in several
undergraduate level books on compilers. I'd like to get a feel for how
relevant they are these days. Are they only of historic interest or do
any of them still make their way into modern compilers? If they're
simply of historic interest, at what point did the move to their
global counterparts take place (how recently could they be found in
production compilers)?

Cheers,
John
[It is my impression that even after you do all your whizzo global
optimization, a local pass is still worthwhile to deal with redundant
instructions, short sequences of instructions that can be combined
and reordered, and the like. -John]