Re: compiler optimization project

egor.pasko@gmail.com
24 Oct 2006 12:36:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler optimization project khubaib92@gmail.com (khubaib) (2006-10-19)
Re: compiler optimization project egor.pasko@gmail.com (2006-10-24)
Re: compiler optimization project 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-10-26)
Re: compiler optimization project ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (2006-10-28)
Re: compiler optimization project mwso@earthlink.net (Gary Oblock) (2006-10-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: egor.pasko@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Oct 2006 12:36:21 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 Oct 2006 12:36:21 EDT

khubaib wrote:
> I am a graduate student doing major in computer architecture, and I am
> taking a course on optimizing compilers. There is a term project
> involved in this course, and I was looking for ideas. The
> infrastructure that we have used so far in the course is JIKES RVM,
> and I hope to continue using it for the project. I am interested in
> register allocation and scheduling (mostly the backend, near to
> machine). Could any one please suggest an idea? As I am from
> architecture background, I was thinking of something like scheduling
> issues for upcoming multiple-core based machines. In a multiple core
> machine, there might be some simple and some very aggressive
> processors, and studying what optimization should be done for which
> core can be beneficial. (thinking on those lines...).

You might probably be interested in the Apache Harmony project
(opensource Java SE).

We have an agressively optimizing JIT compiler with a number of
sophisticated optimizations. We also have a JIT "TODO List"
with ideas/suggestions for further development:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/JIT_Development_Tasks
("BBP" (back-branch polling) is a scheduling issue, for example:)

feel free to take ideas and participate ;)

--
Egor Pasko