OT: Delinking, was Re: linking in OS/360, was The History of the ALGOL Effort

Peter Flass <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com>
18 Sep 2006 09:48:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: The History of the ALGOL Effort p_ludemann@yahoo.com (Peter Ludemann) (2006-08-29)
Re: The History of the ALGOL Effort henry@spsystems.net (2006-09-11)
Re: The History of the ALGOL Effort Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2006-09-11)
Re: linking in OS/360, was The History of the ALGOL Effort Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2006-09-12)
Re: linking in OS/360, was The History of the ALGOL Effort p_ludemann@yahoo.com (Peter Ludemann) (2006-09-13)
Re: linking in OS/360, was The History of the ALGOL Effort gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2006-09-16)
OT: Delinking, was Re: linking in OS/360, was The History of the ALGOL Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2006-09-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Peter Flass <Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Sep 2006 09:48:31 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Sep 2006 09:48:31 EDT

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

> Peter Ludemann wrote:
>
>>One of the problems with the OS/360 linkage-editor was that it had an
>>unnecessarily complex executable format (the object format, however, was
>>fairly simple - the best documentation is in Gries).

> It is also in the Linkage Editor and Loader PLM. I should scan mine
> and send it in.

It's still in the newer manuals. The format has been extended, but, in
true IBM fashion, the original format is still supported and documented.

> There is also a program, DELINK, that will convert a load module
> back to an object module one CSECT at a time.

If this is the program from CBTTAPE, it doesn't appear to handle
DXD/CXD and pseudoregisters properly: Something isn't cleared to zero
properly.
    I've made a mental not to look at it "someday", but I suspect someday
will only come if I need to use it again.