New release of the DDG library

Sid Touati <Sid.Touati@inria.fr>
23 Aug 2006 12:23:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New release of the DDG library Sid.Touati@inria.fr (Sid Touati) (2006-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sid Touati <Sid.Touati@inria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Aug 2006 12:23:13 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Aug 2006 12:23:13 EDT

We are pleased to announce a new release of the DDG library 1.1. It is a
generic C++ library that handles data dependence graphs (DDG) for
optimizing compilation. Our graph library is specially though for
people willing to make quick, robust and modular implementations of code
optimization techniques for basic blocks and simple loops (modeled by
regular mono-dimensional data dependences). We manage directed acyclic
graphs (DAGs) for basic blocks and cyclic graphs for innermost loops.
The user is able to take advantage of many standard algorithms for
graphs. Also, some well known algorithms on data dependence graphs are
implemented. It is also possible to configure the library for different
instruction set architectures.

For more details, see : http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~touati/sw/DDG/

What is new in this version (1.1)
---------------------------------
- Enhanced ISA architectural description : for instance, reading and
writing delay from/to registers are now implemented inside DDG. Also,
the hardware latencies of operations are implemented too, which may
distinct from the latencies of the edges.
- The DDGs now may have edges with nonpositive integer latencies and
distances. This is an important aspect if we would like to model optimal
scheduling problems for VLIW/EPIC architectures. Consequently, some DDG
algorithms have been modified to include this aspect (such as critical
cycle computation, longest and shortest paths, etc.)
- The DDG library allows now to manage multiple types of edges : flow,
antidep, output dep, input dep, serial
- Implementing loop retiming/shifting methods
- Enhanced gl DDG format
- Consistent DDG copying : copy methods preserve the internal
consistency of DDGs objects.
- Consistent hidding nodes and edges
- Import and export methods from gml and leda graph formats
- Enhanced export method to vcg DDG format for interactive DDG
visualization : colored edges classes, etc.
- Associate a generic textual attribute to each node. This would allow
to associate, for instance, the textual code representation of each
instruction.
- Several other minor functions
- Bug fixes