Re: XML-oriented precompiler (current version is for PHP)

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
15 Aug 2006 18:51:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XML-oriented precompiler (current version is for PHP) Satyam@satyam.com.ar (Satyam) (2006-08-10)
Re: XML-oriented precompiler (current version is for PHP) Satyam@satyam.com.ar (Satyam) (2006-08-14)
Re: XML-oriented precompiler (current version is for PHP) gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2006-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 2006 18:51:18 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 2006 18:51:18 EDT

Satyam wrote:

(John wrote)

>>[Precompilers for languages embedded in other languages have been
>>around for a long time. I did one in 1981 and it was a well-known
>>technique then. -John]

(snip)

> I wasn't asking about the concept of precompilers or about embedding
> one language within another which I am acquainted with (I used
> embedded SQL once), but about the usefulness of this particular
> combination.

Precompilers and embedding isn't what I thought about when I read the
post, but closer to special purpose languages.

It is common to write a compiler in the language that it compiles,
but that is not always best, or always done. In some cases a special
language is designed for just one use.

The Kermit state machine has its Wermit language, though other
state machine languages exist.

Knuth's WEB is supposed to be more general than TeX, but I don't believe
it is widely used other than for TeX and associated programs.

I am sure others can find examples of special purpose languages.

-- glen