Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture

Eliot Miranda <eliotm@pacbell.net>
3 May 2006 20:02:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2006-04-23)
Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2006-04-23)
Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture brennie@dcsi.net.au (2006-04-23)
Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2006-04-25)
Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture vladimir.d.lushnikov@gmail.com (Vladimir Lushnikov) (2006-04-28)
Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture eliotm@pacbell.net (Eliot Miranda) (2006-05-01)
Re: Framed Stack vs. Two Stack Architecture eliotm@pacbell.net (Eliot Miranda) (2006-05-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eliot Miranda <eliotm@pacbell.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 May 2006 20:02:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 03 May 2006 20:02:28 EDT

moderator writes:
> [I'd think the choice of framed vs. unframed stack would depend on the
> warts of the local instruction set and whether a routine is a
> leaf. -John]

Right. But that's an optimization one can apply to framed stacks (and
something typical in JIT-compiled Smalltalk implementations too). But
Avatar enquired about the difference between "framed" (or as I take it
conventional single-stack) vs operand/control stacks. Hence I took
"Framed stack" to mean "conventional stack organization. Note that in
a Smalltalk implementation mapping between contexts and stack frames
one can still use "unframed"/leaf activations provided a full frame
can be built if needed to map to a context. e.g. the typical approach
is to not create a frame when activating a primitive method, and run
the primitive without a frame, only creating a frame if the primitive
fails.
    Likewise in our VisualWorks VM we don't create a frame for a call-out
to C, deferring building a full frame until we get a call-back.

HTMS...
--
Eliot Miranda Smalltalk - Scene not herd