Open standard(s) for browse info?

algrant@myrealbox.com
12 Apr 2006 22:45:39 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Open standard(s) for browse info? algrant@myrealbox.com (2006-04-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: algrant@myrealbox.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Apr 2006 22:45:39 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Apr 2006 22:45:39 EDT

Are there (one or more) open, stable, widely supported formats for
source browse information, i.e. recording the locations in source code
where identifiers are defined and used? An open analogue to, say,
Microsoft's .bsc as opposed to .pdb.

I realise a browse format could be built around an open debug format
like DWARF, but I was hoping to find something designed specifically
for browsing and cross-referencing rather than general debugging.
[I suppose there's the format of the tags file that emacs or vi uses.
-John]