Simple retargetable compiler (maybe only local optimizations)

"Uncle Noah" <nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr>
11 Feb 2006 14:04:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Simple retargetable compiler (maybe only local optimizations) nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (Uncle Noah) (2006-02-11)
Re: Simple retargetable compiler (maybe only local optimizations) vivekm@sankhya.com (2006-02-14)
Re: Simple retargetable compiler (maybe only local optimizations) toby@telegraphics.com.au (toby) (2006-02-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Uncle Noah" <nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Feb 2006 14:04:41 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Feb 2006 14:04:41 EST

hi there

I have been looking for some time for an easily (not GCC!) retargetable
compiler, generating assembly code for RISC processor ISAs from ANSI C.
This seems to be utopic since in most attempts the specification for
the target processor is tightly integrated in the code generator (e.g.
AST->IR->assembly). Since this is a very difficult problem in practice,
we can exclude some of the hard stuff. Anyway, these are the
requirements:

1. Compact (not obfuscated though!) machine description language.
2. Single file machine descriptions.
3. Support for simple register allocation (not necessarily Chaitin
variation).
4. No (global) optimizations.

The latter is very important; I'm interested in generating correct code
for different instruction sets, BUT don't care about optimizations. If
it look ugly, I will deal with it later.

Any suggestions? LCC looks nice and jackcc has some nice options
(http://jackcc.sourceforge.net) but neither scores all 4 requirements.

cheers
Nikolaos Kavvadias