Prolog to WAM Register Allocation?

"Ludwig Wittgenstein" <sender_001@hotmail.com>
12 Jan 2006 12:13:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Prolog to WAM Register Allocation? sender_001@hotmail.com (Ludwig Wittgenstein) (2006-01-12)
Re: Prolog to WAM Register Allocation? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2006-01-17)
Re: Prolog to WAM Register Allocation? jjk@acm.org (Jens Kilian) (2006-01-17)
Re: Prolog to WAM Register Allocation? ik@unicals.com (Ivan A. Kosarev) (2006-01-17)
Re: Prolog to WAM Register Allocation? kym@ukato.freeshell.org (russell kym horsell) (2006-01-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ludwig Wittgenstein" <sender_001@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2006 12:13:38 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2006 12:13:38 EST

Hello all,

      I'm currently studying how Prolog compiles its source into Warren
Abstract Machine code and I was wondering what kind of algorithm does
Prolog use to assign variables and constants to X and Y registers?

For instance, predicate(X,Y,john) allocates X1 for X, X2 for Y, and X3
for john ? or, when I pass a query ?- lives_in(john, X) Do I assume
that X variable is bound value is in X1 or X2?

I've seen numerous literature on code generation/register allocation
for imperative languages (on register-based machines and stack-based
machines) but there seems to be no literature at all on how Prolog code
generation against Warren Abstract machines (Ait-Kaci's book barely
touches on this subject). Any idea on where such information could be
found?

Thanks!