syntax directed translation

"aegis" <aegis@mad.scientist.com>
26 Dec 2005 09:25:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax directed translation aegis@mad.scientist.com (aegis) (2005-12-26)
Re: syntax directed translation markwh04@yahoo.com (2005-12-30)
Re: syntax directed translation jost@cs.dal.ca (Allan Jost) (2006-01-02)
Re: syntax directed translation gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2006-01-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "aegis" <aegis@mad.scientist.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Dec 2005 09:25:02 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Dec 2005 09:25:02 EST

Are syntax directed translation and syntax directed definition
synonymous?

My book has the title 'syntax directed translation' as a section title
in one of the chapters but in defining it, it uses 'syntax directed
definition'

Also, what are some real world examples of using syntax directed
translations? i.e., source to freely available compilers.

Could there be certain criteria defined for when syntax directed
translations are preferred over translation schemes(the procedural
approach, where semantic rules are explicit, according to my book)

And that raises another question, how are semantic rules in syntax
directed translations given, so that the intended operation can be
carried out for a given language construct.

--
aegis
[I've never heard of syntax directed definition. -John]