Re: array bounds checking

neal.wang@gmail.com
8 Dec 2005 02:34:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
array bounds checking drizzle76@gmail.com (dz) (2005-11-26)
Re: array bounds checking nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-11-27)
Re: array bounds checking sudeshc@noida.hcltech.com (Sudesh Chandna, Noida) (2005-11-29)
Re: array bounds checking gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-12-03)
Re: array bounds checking neal.wang@gmail.com (2005-12-08)
Re: Array bounds checking pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1990-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: neal.wang@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Dec 2005 02:34:30 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Dec 2005 02:34:30 EST

dz wrote:
> Hi
> I am wondering if anybody knew how array bounds checks worked when
> they are references through multiple indirections of pointers. Eg: p =
> A ; q= &p; ***q+100=0; So q is referencing A. And hence I would like
> a check inserted there.
> Do array bounds checking handle these cases, because this
> also would need pointer analysis.

It's mostly hopeless if you want static bounds checks.
Please check Necula's "CCured: Type-Safe Retrofitting of Legacy Code",
It automatically does pointer kind type inference and insert runtime
bounds check
for wild pointers. pointer analysis is also needed to find the correct
targets.

      Cheers,
Neal