Global versus Stack variables

"shrey" <shreyas76@gmail.com>
19 Nov 2005 02:31:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Global versus Stack variables shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2005-11-19)
Re: Global versus Stack variables oliverhunt@gmail.com (oliverhunt@gmail.com) (2005-11-21)
Re: Global versus Stack variables gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-11-21)
Re: Global versus Stack variables henry@spsystems.net (2005-11-21)
Re: Global versus Stack variables torbenm@app-5.diku.dk (2005-11-21)
Re: Global versus Stack variables jatin.bhateja@amdocs.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2005-11-26)
Re: Global versus Stack variables napi@cs.indiana.edu (2005-11-26)

From: "shrey" <shreyas76@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Nov 2005 02:31:21 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Nov 2005 02:31:21 EST

Hi all
          I was wondering if ppl can give their opinion on the following
question. What is the impact of a variable being a global or a local
variable on optimizations. In other words, is it likelier to produce
better code if a variable is local than global. The reason I ask this
is I wonder if register allocation is harder if a variable is global
instead of local. Are there other optimizations which get affected due
to this consideration.

thanks
Shrey
[It depends on your language, but in languages with pointers, the
biggest advantage of stack locals is that the compiler can assume
no aliasing of stack variables that haven't had their address taken.
-John]