Table-driven Parser

"Cobus Kruger" <spamwontwork@kplanet.co.za>
30 Sep 2005 02:04:52 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Table-driven Parser spamwontwork@kplanet.co.za (Cobus Kruger) (2005-09-30)
Re: Table-driven Parser paul@parsetec.com (Paul Mann) (2005-10-02)
Re: Table-driven Parser mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2005-10-02)
Re: Table-driven Parser Meyer-Eltz@t-online.de (Detlef Meyer-Eltz) (2005-10-02)
Re: Table-driven Parser DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-10-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Cobus Kruger" <spamwontwork@kplanet.co.za>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Sep 2005 02:04:52 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Sep 2005 02:04:52 EDT

Hi Guys,

I have been writing an RTF to PDF converter to correct issues we had
with software that exports our reports. Fortunately, I don't need
anything too complex - basic fonts, indenting and the like.

Unfortunately I have to admit that I am a little light on parsing
theory, so the basic algorithm has been a fairly ad hoc affair. It has
worked well for the most part, but I keep finding new tags that mess
up my rendition of the document if I ignore them.

I read in Microsoft's documentation that most RTF parsers are table
driven. To me that doesn't say much. I then downloaded their test app
which has a horde of lines making up tables, but doesn't seem to do
anything meaningful. Certainly, it is not building any kind of DOM or
giving me any of the info I would need to render it on-screen.

Does any of you have knowledge or experience of these kinds of parsers?
Any starting point will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Cobus Kruger
[I've written RTF to HTML translators which tokenize the RTF and then
do a lot of ad-hoc stuff to figure out what it means. RTF never
struck me as having enough of a structure to merit a real parser, and
I definitely sympathize with the gotcha tags problem. -John]