Re: programming with VHDL, was Looking for a fast C++ parser

"Amit Gupta" <emailamit@gmail.com>
10 Aug 2005 11:54:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Designing a language for dataflow/parallelism peteg42@gmail.com (Peter Gammie) (2005-06-26)
Looking for a fast C++ parser nscc@c7.org (2005-08-07)
Re: programming with VHDL, was Looking for a fast C++ parser emailamit@gmail.com (Amit Gupta) (2005-08-10)
Re: programming with VHDL, was Looking for a fast C++ parser me_ncl@hotmail.com (Martin Ellis) (2005-08-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Amit Gupta" <emailamit@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 2005 11:54:10 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Aug 2005 11:54:10 EDT

This could be a tangential thought. I was wondering if hardware
description language like VHDL can be used to write software. VHDL
language is typed for explicit parallelism and the it has the features
like function/operator overloading, defining/using struct's. There are
lots of IPs available in VHDL to do DSP kind of computation like
FFT/DFT that can be directly used while writting your own software
(software IPs?). Of course there would be a need to *extend* the
language and to write a compiler to convert VHDL into object code, but
it should be possible. There are open source software like verilator
that converts VHDL into a c language (primarily for speeding up the
cycle accurate simulation)

Is there any pointers to similar idea being pursued by somewhere? OR,
are there any critical studies done to invalidate this idea?

-Amit
[It might, but I don't see what this has to do with syntax highlighting. -John]