Re: Book wanted: "Building an Optimizing Compiler" by Robert Morgan

Steve Meyer <sjmeyer@www.tdl.com>
30 Jun 2005 10:01:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book wanted: "Building an Optimizing Compiler" by Robert Morgan otto@programmer.net (2005-06-13)
Re: Book wanted: "Building an Optimizing Compiler" by Robert Morgan sjmeyer@www.tdl.com (Steve Meyer) (2005-06-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Steve Meyer <sjmeyer@www.tdl.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jun 2005 10:01:13 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Jun 2005 10:01:13 EDT

    You are right that the Morgan book is very good and probably the
best way to get started writing a flow graph based optimizing compiler.
A minor problem is that it's example instructions are too simple and
do not deail with any of the complex instructions in real CPUs.

    We have been looking for another copy for a while and haven't found
one. We tried ordering some a few months ago. The book sites that
claimed to have it would substitute another compiler book and send it
without telling us so we were forced to send the substitute book back.

    I exchanged email with Robert Morgan suggesting that the book should
be reprinted. I think Elsevier wants to reprint it, but Morgan said
he is working on a new edition and has more work to do.
/Steve

--
Steve Meyer Phone: (612) 371-2023
Pragmatic C Software Corp. email: sjmeyer@pragmatic-c.com