Re: inling/tail recursion, recursive decent parser

henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
23 Jun 2005 22:03:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
inling/tail recursion, recursive decent parser spam@disney.com (Lefteris Keftedopoulos) (2005-06-21)
Re: inling/tail recursion, recursive decent parser henry@spsystems.net (2005-06-23)
Re: inling/tail recursion, recursive decent parser diablovision@yahoo.com (2005-06-30)
Re: inling/tail recursion, recursive decent parser ronny@cs.ru.nl (Ronny Wichers Schreur) (2005-07-02)
Re: inling/tail recursion, recursive decent parser cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2005-07-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jun 2005 22:03:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Jun 2005 22:03:25 EDT

Lefteris Keftedopoulos <spam@disney.com> wrote:
>Would inlining / tail recursion have significant effect on the amount
>of call stack space used by a recursive decent parser?

Tail recursion unfortunately isn't common in recursive-descent parsers.
Much more usual are structures like:

start()
while (there's more)
more()

which unfortunately don't lend themselves to that kind of optimization.

Inlining could help substantially, if you're willing to accept some
increase in code size. In a straightforward recursive-descent parser,
many procedures are called from only one or two places. Inlining
won't reduce the space used for variables very much, but it will cut
out a lot of per-call stack-frame overhead. (Caveat: the benefits
will be reduced substantially if operator precedence in expressions is
handled by some specialized trick rather than by having a level of
procedures per level of precedence.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
                                                                -- George Herbert | henry@spsystems.net