Re: Register allocation

torbenm@diku.dk (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
18 May 2005 00:51:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Register allocation anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2004-08-10)
Re: Register allocation kym@kymhorsell.com (2004-08-11)
Re: Register allocation kamalp@acm.org (2004-08-13)
Register allocation thibault.langlois@di.fc.ul.pt (thibault.langlois@di.fc.ul.pt) (2005-05-13)
Re: Register allocation rgd00@doc.ic.ac.uk (Rob Dimond) (2005-05-16)
Re: Register allocation torbenm@diku.dk (2005-05-18)
Re: Register allocation thibault.langlois@di.fc.ul.pt (thibault.langlois@di.fc.ul.pt) (2005-05-20)
Re: Register allocation c3riechers@adelphia.com (Chuck Riechers) (2005-05-21)
register allocation camille@bluegrass.net (David Lindauer) (2005-11-12)
register allocation dgb@cs.washington.edu (1989-11-22)
Re: register allocation larus@primost.wisc.EDU (1989-11-24)
Register Allocation napi@rangkom.MY (1990-02-17)

From: torbenm@diku.dk (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 May 2005 00:51:13 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 May 2005 00:51:13 EDT

"thibault.langlois@di.fc.ul.pt" <thibault.langlois@di.fc.ul.pt> writes:

> I have a question about register allocation using a graph coloring
> algorithm.
> The front-end of my compiler produces a three address code
> representation.
> The register allocation should be performed on the intermediate
> representation (to assign temporaries to registers) or should I choose
> the instructions of the target processor first, assuming an infinite
> number of registers and then use the register allocation to match the
> actual set of registers ?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches:

If you do register allocation on intermediate code:

  - You can share the register allocator among all target
      architectures, just parameterising with number of registers etc.

  - You can generate spill code as intermediate code, which the
      instruction selector may optimise.

  - The register allocator wil be simpler, as intermediate code is more
      regular than machine code.

  - But you will have to leve a few register unallocated, as the code
      generator may have to use extra registers as temporaries etc.

With allocation on machine code:

  - You can more easily handle instructions that require
      operands/results in specific registers.

  - You can tune the allocator better to the calling convention, i.e.,
      regarding caller-saves/callee-saves registers, parameter registers
      and spill.

  - But spill code may break the optimality of instruction selection
      and scheduling.

  - And it is more work to port the register allocator to a different
      target architecture.

Overall, I would say you get the best result by postponing register
allocation to machine code, but it will also be more work to do so.

                Torben