Re: Executing code without generating stack machine code

Carlos <carlos.smith@sympatico.ca>
30 Apr 2005 10:57:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Executing code without generating stack machine code himanshu.garg@gmail.com (2005-04-26)
Re: Executing code without generating stack machine code carlos.smith@sympatico.ca (Carlos) (2005-04-30)
Re: Executing code without generating stack machine code gtoal@gtoal.com (2005-04-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Carlos <carlos.smith@sympatico.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Apr 2005 10:57:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Apr 2005 10:57:14 EDT

himanshu.garg@gmail.com wrote:

> I was wondering if I could execute code from its tree
> representation without generating any intermediate code. At the least
> my language supports if/then/else, loops, procedures, goto's and
> expressions. This would allow me to avoid the extra stack machine
> processor code, required to run the intermediate code.
>
> Thank You,
> Himanshu.
> [Sure. Interpreting trees is not hard. -John]

Circa 1994-1995, Al Stevens wrote a C interpreter: QNC.

C source to interpret, is tokenized in some data structure (not byte
codes), and then interpreted.

QNC use another package of Mr Stevens, DFLAT.

The files are not available any more at the
author site's: ftp://ftp.alstevens.com/

But using an ftp-search, i found these 3 files:
        q41src.zip
        qnc41.zip
        dflt20.zip
on: