Re: c code inliner

Nathan Moore <nathan.moore@sdc.cox.net>
2 Apr 2005 19:30:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
c code inliner paulw@mmail.ath.cx (2005-03-31)
Re: c code inliner nathan.moore@sdc.cox.net (Nathan Moore) (2005-04-02)
Re: c code inliner basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2005-04-02)
Re: c code inliner tmk@netvision.net.il (2005-04-02)
Re: c code inliner eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2005-04-02)
Re: c code inliner pohjalai@cc.helsinki.fi (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2005-04-26)
Re: c code inliner gtoal@gtoal.com (2005-04-30)
Re: c code inliner idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2005-05-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nathan Moore <nathan.moore@sdc.cox.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Apr 2005 19:30:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 02 Apr 2005 19:30:18 EST

paulw@mmail.ath.cx wrote:
> Can gcc or cpp produce c code after inlining?
> I.e. I only want my c code after inlining but not compiled.
> Sort of like preprocessing "-E" but with inlining.
> Or any one knows any tools that does only "controlled" inlining?
> I don't need optimization or any thing, just inlining.

nope

Inlining is done on intermediate forms, not on C code.
You could get GCC to give you files with the intermediate form (RTL)
of your programs after inlining has been done, but it you most likely
will not be able to read it.
Why would you need this?
You could use ifdefs to swap out inline functions with macros and then
use the preprocessor.
This is not a complete solution though b/c both inline f() and #define
macros have certain abilities that the other does not.

Why would you want to do this? It is silly.

Nathan