Re: Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph

Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com>
25 Mar 2005 21:54:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Text of Jim Welsh and Atholl Hay: A Model Implementation of Standard P msxhans@yahoo.com (Hans Otten) (2004-07-13)
Re: Text of Jim Welsh and Atholl Hay: A Model Implementation of Standa franck.pissotte@alussinan.org (Franck Pissotte) (2004-07-15)
Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph bageshri@cse.iitb.ac.in (Bageshri Sathe) (2005-03-24)
Re: Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph dnovillo@redhat.com (Diego Novillo) (2005-03-25)
Re: Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph nathan.moore@sdc.cox.net (Nathan Moore) (2005-03-25)
Re: Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph liekweg@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de (F. Liekweg) (2005-03-25)
Re: Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (Martin Ward) (2005-03-31)
Re: Number of Phi-functions in SSA graph jsinger@cs.man.ac.uk (Jeremy Singer) (2005-04-11)
Interprocedural Constant Propagation bageshri@cse.iitb.ac.in (Bageshri Sathe) (2005-04-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Mar 2005 21:54:19 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Mar 2005 21:54:19 EST

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 09:15:05PM -0500, Bageshri Sathe wrote:

> I was wondering what is the upper bound on number of phi-functions in a
> minimal SSA graph. Does it depend upon number of program variables or join
> nodes in the CFG or both?

I assume that you mean minimal in the original sense (i.e., PHI nodes
are always added to the iterated dominance frontier of definition
sites). The pruned and semi-pruned forms will actually yield a
smaller number of PHI nodes, as the IDFs are pruned with live-in
information.

The main factor is the size of the iterated dominance frontier of each
definition site, and, of course, the number of definition sites.

For instance, if you have a very convoluted graph but all the
definitions are in the entry block, there will be exactly 0 PHI nodes
(the example is extreme and is only meant as an illustration). At the
other extreme, you may have just 1 definition site that is very "deep"
inside the CFG and has a huge IDF. Each block in that IDF will need a
PHI node.

> Any literature that discusses this?

The various papers that describe techniques for PHI placement should
help, but I'm not aware of anything that discusses this particular
topic in detail.

Diego.