Re: What is byte-code ?

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
5 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is byte-code ? kcc1967@gmail.com (KC) (2005-03-04)
Re: What is byte-code ? nathan.moore@sdc.cox.net (Nathan Moore) (2005-03-05)
Re: What is byte-code ? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2005-03-05)
Re: What is byte-code ? lfinsto1@gwdg.de (Laurence Finston) (2005-03-05)
Re: What is byte-code ? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-03-08)
Re: What is byte-code ? joe@burgershack.com (Randy) (2005-03-08)
Re: What is byte-code ? Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca (Brian Inglis) (2005-03-08)
Re: What is byte-code ? torbenm@diku.dk (2005-03-08)

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Mar 2005 21:31:11 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Mar 2005 21:31:11 EST

"KC" <kcc1967@gmail.com> writes:
>What's the official definition of byte-code ?

There is none (well, you can try Wikipedia or FOLDOC for inofficial
definitions).

The term byte-code is typically used for a special case of a virtual
machine, where the virtual machine instructions and their operands are
encoded as bytes, or as groups of bytes (e.g., JVM byte-code,
Smalltalk byte-code, Elisp byte-code).

However, I have also seen the term used for virtual machines that
don't have this property (e.g., the Ocaml "byte-code", where the
instructions are encoded as machine words); that usage seems to just
use "byte-code" in place of "virtual machine" (maybe because there are
also other meanings of "virtual machine").

As for "virtual machine", in this context it means a flat, sequential
intermediate representation of the programs, consisting of virtual
machine instructions, with some similarities to real-machine code.

>Any documentation and
>book related to byte-code and byte-code compiler ?

@Book{krasner83,
    title = "Smalltalk-80: Bits of History, Words of Advice",
    publisher = "Addison-Wesley",
    year = 1983,
    editor = "Glen Krasner"
}

You can also look at some papers published at, e.g., IVME'04 and
follow the references.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl