Tom pattern matching compiler Release 2.1

pem <Pierre-Etienne.Moreau@loria.fr>
23 Dec 2004 17:54:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tom pattern matching compiler Release 2.1 Pierre-Etienne.Moreau@loria.fr (pem) (2004-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pem <Pierre-Etienne.Moreau@loria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Dec 2004 17:54:11 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Dec 2004 17:54:11 EST

Tom 2.1 announcement
--------------------

It is my great privilege and pleasure to announce the availability of
Tom version 2.1.

This release continues our work on the integration of pattern matching
and rule based programming facilities into C and Java.

Tom is a pattern matching compiler developed at INRIA. It is
particularly well-suited for programming various transformations on
trees/terms and XML based documents. Its design follows our research
on the efficient compilation of rule based languages (e.g. ELAN,
developed at INRIA-Loria).

Tom is a tool implemented in Tom itself. Similarly to Yacc, it
translates patterns into executable pattern matching automata. When a
match is found, the corresponding semantic action (a sequence of
instructions written in C or Java) is triggered and executed.

Tom is a complex compiler which adds powerful constructs to C and
Java: non linear syntactic matching, associative matching with neutral
element (a.k.a. list-matching), XML based pattern matching, string
matching, and equational rewriting.
This offers the possibility to analyze and transform any kind of
data-structure. Tom can be used for large scale developments and
applications. It comes with documentation, programming, and debugging
support.

This new release contains many improvements and new features:

      - a re-designed plugin based architecture, which allows extension
          and experimentation
      - a new parser based on ANTLR
      - a library for defining traversal strategies, very useful to
          perform analysis and transformations
      - a new organization, which make a clean separation between
          libraries and kernel
      - several bugs fixed

Tom is available, in open source (GPL/BSD License), from the Tom web
page:

      http://tom.loria.fr

      best regards,
      Tom development team