Building a scanner(or pattern matcher) from a CFG grammar?

"Georgios Petasis" <petasis@iit.demokritos.gr>
16 Dec 2004 00:37:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Building a scanner(or pattern matcher) from a CFG grammar? petasis@iit.demokritos.gr (Georgios Petasis) (2004-12-16)
Re: Building a scanner(or pattern matcher) from a CFG grammar? idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2004-12-17)
Re: Building a scanner(or pattern matcher) from a CFG grammar? petasis@iit.demokritos.gr (Georgios Petasis) (2004-12-19)
Re: Building a scanner(or pattern matcher) from a CFG grammar? cdiggins@videotron.ca (christopher diggins) (2004-12-19)
Re: Building a scanner(or pattern matcher) from a CFG grammar? cdiggins@videotron.ca (christopher diggins) (2004-12-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Georgios Petasis" <petasis@iit.demokritos.gr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Dec 2004 00:37:09 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Dec 2004 00:37:09 EST

Hi all,

I am trying to find software that can convert a CFG grammar into a
scanner, for locating patterns in text. I don't want a full parse, but
find patterns in free text (like for example lex-based scanner do),
but with the pattern language being CFG instead of regular. Any ideas?

The only reference I have found so far was inside the XML facilities
provided by Microsoft for locating "smart tags" in html pages, inside
internet explorer :-) (Which seems impressive...) However, I haven't
found anything else beyond that... The link for the MS tool is:

Here's a great article you might be interested in:The following
context-free grammar smart tag sample recognizes dates in different
formats. To try it, copy and paste the code below onto Notepad and
save it as an XML file. Then place the XML file in the "1033" folder
of the MOSTL directory which is <Drive>:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart Tag\LISTS\1033 URL:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/stagsdk/html/stconCFGSamples.asp?frame=true&_r=1

George