Re: Seek recomended reading for a compiler project, Oberon on PIC

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?= <Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de>
5 Dec 2004 21:37:47 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Seek recomended reading for a compiler project, Oberon on PIC mcintosh@spam04.vima.austin.tx.us (2004-12-01)
Re: Seek recomended reading for a compiler project, Oberon on PIC Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2004-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?= <Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Dec 2004 21:37:47 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Dec 2004 21:37:47 EST

Aubrey McIntosh wrote:

> Please recommend a bibliography. I want to do some background reading
> relevant to implementing an Algol family language on a Harvard
> architecture machine. The language is Oberon, and the machine is a
> PIC 16F877 microprocessor. The cross-compile operating system is

I cannot recommend a bibliography, but ... this is a funny
combination (Oberon & PIC). With only a few KB RAM and ROM available,
you should consider to forbid recursive procedure calls. This would
allow for static memory allocation at compile time; simplifying "stack
frames" and speeding up execution as well. If I remember it
correctly, the early Occam compilers in the 1980s did this too.